Lead Global Material Creation Strategy across the brand developing and steering the creative direction for the brand horizontally to become design leader in the industry by establishing a strong position in the industry through material design, innovation, and presentation.
- Lead the development of state of the art seasonal and midterm Material concepts and packages that will directly impact the perception of our consumer as being an innovation leader in the industry across all labels, sub brands, sports, and collabs (examples would be Climaheat, Tech Fit, Women’s tights, Porsche Design, Clima Footwear, etc…)
- Establish and maintain Strategic Plans for Material Design, innovation, and consolidation of palettes and toolboxes to maximize our brand impact with consumers on a global scale in coordination with Creative Director. Ensure highest quality professional information exchange between AIT, MDI, Sourcing, and all Design functions and BU’s,
- Ensure Material to be a strong competitive differentiator in the market.
- Ensure a strategy that is both innovative in perception, but can be practically applied horizontally across all footwear, apparel, and accessories.
- Explore partnerships outside the adidas network to Identify cultural, lifestyle, sport, and design trends in order to influence brand strategy & shape the future creative direction through Materials.
- Build and maintain strong direct relationships with external suppliers and partners in the industry to ensure confidential exploration, development, and creation of state of the art material solutions that can ultimately be realized in footwear, apparel, and other adidas products.
- Lead and Coordinate Strategic Material Concept creation across all horizontal disciplines to create synergies, merchandising opportunities, and consistent visual alignment. Ensure a strategy whereby both commercial and innovative material needs co-exist and thrive from the same framework.
- Lead, Steer, and manage the Seasonal Materials Process for the brand including CTC, Futures, BU’s, MDI, and Design into the process. Ensure holistic Material Concepts get executed across different Business Units & horizontal brand functions.
- Sign off on overall seasonal materials strategy for adidas.
- Ensure the right set up of the Materials team to lead a horizontal process.
- Recognize and include diverse category business, market, and consumer needs among business functions including Global Sourcing, global development, and T1/T2 ASL suppliers.
- Implement strategies to achieve sustainability and environmental targets across all categories and BU's
- Ensure continuous exchange of relevant testing, achievability, pricing, and future material trend information between the business units, co-headquarters (HZA & PDX, SLD) & Creation Centers (CCS, CCT, CCSP), and relevant external partners. Find more synergies within the ranges & creative culture.
- Develop a succession plan and career develop for future design leaders in Materials, but also transferability of skills into Design and Creative Direction overall.
- Direct and curate visual tools and presentations for Material innovation, Material Design, and Material toolboxes including consolidation, sustainability, and business tracking.
- Initiate and manage competitor benchmark testing relating to project objectives. Analyse results to drive continuous improvements to on-going developments, with the aim to provide new insights.
- Manage the development of new test methods and equipment for assessment of material technologies, to enable performance improvement.
Knowledge, Capabilities and Experience
- Big picture and visionary thinking
- Strategic acting
- Leading through visions and values
- Develop leaders and manage talents
- Personal impact
- Proven track record in Textile/ Material design
- Advanced knowledge of textile construction, technical materials and textile manufacturing and finishing processes.
- Advanced knowledge of fibers, yarns, and material properties.
- Strong supplier relationship builder, with ability to develop a material from concept to commercialization
- Knowledge of product creation process, from fabric to garment construction
- Knowledge of consumer, competitor and industry trends
- 10+ years functional
- 8+ years leadership experience in Material design and production processes
- Degree in Textile / Material Design or related field
- Fluent in English