- Support the Line Manager in their execution of SEA policies, projects and work programmes
- Identify the areas of risk to adidas in respect of working conditions and standards. Provide to the Line Manager recommendations in respect of those risks, based on legal obligations and SEA requirements
- Engage the adidas production staff and factory management in the designated country or countries in order to integrate SEA requirements into the business practices of adidas
- Develop and provide regular SEA training to adidas Sourcing staff and factories within designated country or countries.
- Audit and develop SEA action plans for suppliers, to ensure compliance with the SEA. Similarly, supervise the independent monitoring process in partner factories within designated country or countries.
- Assist business partners’ remediation by advising on options, negotiating timeframes, sharing experiences and best practices and helping management locate the necessary expertise, materials, etc.
- Provide regular updates to the Line Manager, the relevant Country Manager(s) and Sourcing staff, on the status of partner factories and other suppliers, and SEA Team activities.
- Ensure all relevant Sourcing staff and department heads are fully briefed in the SEA principles and methods of implementation.
- Regarding communication, convey any problems and issues to all concerned parties immediately. Provide monthly reports to the Line Manager by the established reporting date.
- Communicate news, issues and initiatives which originate in the LO to the Line Manager promptly and clearly.
- Keep updated on all labour and HSE legislation within the designated country or countries and report any updates to the Line Manager and Discipline Heads. Review any updates with senior factory management and other SEA team members.
- Establish contacts and actively engage in dialogue with local NGOs, Government bodies and professional institutions, to further the goals and transparency of the SEA programme.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Carry out special projects, as designated by the Line Manager, which utilise areas of technical expertise.
- Approachability - is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others; builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it.
- Functional / technical skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Integrity and trust - is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Priority setting - spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Negotiating - The ability to skillfully negotiate in tough situations with both internal and external groups. Can win concessions without damaging relationships, can be both directed and forceful as well as diplomatic.
Academics & Training Background:
- University Degree in Engineering, Occupational Health & Safety, Human Resource Management, Law or related Fields.
- At least 6 years of progressive experience in manufacturing industry with focus on compliance, with at least three years in the area of occupational health & safety
- Written Communication - is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Language – Knowledge of local language and dialects in country of operation. Fluent written and spoken English.
- Presentation Skills - Effectiveness in a variety of formal presentations, one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, direct reports and senior management; is effective both inside and outside the organisation such as NGO and local governments, on hard data and controversial topics; commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation.
- Government Dialogue, able to represent the company in dialogue with government of occupational health & safety, environmental pollution, labour rights, human rights and where appropriate.
- All levels of adidas Sourcing departments and within SEA departments.
- Business partners senior management, business partners’ workforces.
- Stakeholders, such as interest groups, non governmental organisations (NGO) and relevant government departments.
- Professional Associations
- Several years of regional experience in a related field, the incumbent must be able to contribute to the team at an expert level, to supplement the SEA team existing range expertise.
- Familiar with industry trends and standards in occupational health, safety and environment and employment
- Preferable be a professional member of reputable professional institutions, or to obtain such membership.
- The job requires hands on experience in the field and provides advice to business partners.
- Frequent travel to both local and international is essential, and is expected to work in industrial environment.
- Able to trouble shoot issues, identify risks, manage crises and recommend and support senior management with emergency situations.