This position is responsible for researching trends, ideation of new concepts and creating compelling footwear product to meet the brand aesthetic. The footwear Associate Designer works with the footwear team to ensure that each product meets the category’s product brief and the seasonal design direction set by the Creative Director and Senior Management team.
- Sketch product designs and produce line art to communicate design concepts, including multiple views and details as necessary in both 2D and 3D
- Provide design / concept boards to communicate design and seasonal direction
- Create supporting artwork that illustrate design concepts and tell stories to the Marketing, Merchandising and Sales teams.
- Work with the category to understand market needs and design to product briefs.
- Keep abreast of market trends and consumer needs
- Create and maintain all art files and transfer correct information to cross functional teams
- Select color, materials and components used in product designs and understand the impact of choices on costing and overall design aesthetic
- Design function and technology into product while still designing to cost
- Design new components or innovate existing footwear parts and create technical drawings so they can be manufactured
- Create tech packs and other materials to hand-off to development for sample manufacturing
- Attend and contribute in construction and prototype review sessions
- Meet calendar deadlines and deliverables
- Identify new or innovative concepts, materials, manufacturing processes, etc. and suggest ways in which they could improve the overall process and positively impact the team
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication, organizational and presentation skills; ability to receive design critique and respond with multiple solutions
- Ability to illustrate designs & concepts in both hand sketch and rendering forms
- Visualization skills to express ideas in both 2D and 3D including styling the entire shoe
- Knowledge of technical processes and ability to address lasts, patterns, blueprints and molds at a general level
- Strong team player as well as ability to work independently
- Ability to respond quickly to multiple projects with strong time management skills
Qualifications (Minimum required education and experience):
- 2-3+ years of footwear design experience
- Advanced level Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop and 3D software a plus
- Understanding of materials and their application to footwear designs; understanding of material development processes and footwear construction.
- Bachelors degree in product, industrial, automotive design