Lead the Global Future Platform Innovation Team. Define and implement leading edge creation tools, engineering/creative principles and advanced resources needed to manage an industry leading innovation team.
Define the future vision and strategy for existing platforms (4D, String Theory, Bio Fabrication, etc) and lead the Platform Innovation team for Performance products for the adidas Brand.
Drive the team to create innovation opportunities through the development of new technologies, manufacturing processes, materials, etc., that support product, sourcing & marketing innovation.
Outline, plan & create lighthouse projects to guide Platform Innovation’s efforts in new Technology fields or aplications in new ways.
Create advances in manufacturing, process, and materials to establish new platforms for the creation of products that differentiate adidas from the competition.
- Leadership of the Platform Innovation team.
- Develop standards for innovation excellence and ensure the integration of technology projects into the Future product innovation, Advanced Creation and in-line process
- Build professional foresight, scouting and portfolio management as a central element of all ongoing technology innovation, funding and collaboration activities, leveraging the innovation Hub, Future Incubation, etc.
- Explore, develop and deliver substantial platform innovation, to increase performance, aesthetics and sustainability of footwear and apparel innovations. Develop new innovative manufacturing technologies to support.
- Establish external networks in Science, Technology, Industry & Governmental Institutions as enablers for platform innovation. Explore synergies & funding opportunities through external partnerships.
- Establish am “insight/creative”community through shared knowledge, exchange of experience, and training.
- Manage team resources of budget and personnel for the global Future Platform Innovation team with due regard for team output performance, personal development and continued team growth.
- Form internal relationships to ensure successful innovation transitions into Advanced Creation, Design, Marketing, PR and Operations. Work closely with Future Leadership to align, communicate and deliver complete innovation and knowledge transfer.
- Continually evaluate and take through to implementation new models of working 'open source', including but not limited to university spin offs, T2 suppliers and University partners, etc.
- Consider legal implications of innovative concepts and public funding initiatives. Work with the legal team to protect product, technology, innovation, process and design
- Ensure that all relevant IP and legal aspects (contracts, IP, NDAs) are addressed.
- Advanced Concepts leadership
- BU leadership, Design and business
- Futures leadership
- Brand Management leadership
- Creative Direction leadership
- Strategy leadership
- Finance partners (Controlling)
- Creative Direction leadership
- HR (marketing ROI) partners
- Research institutions & industrial & academic partners
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thinking Big Picture: Changes business-level strategy beyond own area
- Consumer and value proposition obsessed: Creatively identifies emerging niches and opportunities for the company
- Technology driven. Curiosity for science and engineering along with a passion for practical application in an impactful way
- Strong communication – ability to visually and verbally present ideas and direction to diverse audiences
- Models the way: Lives the leadership values of adidas (3Cs) by ensuring a collaborative, confident and creative culture and enduring partnerships
- Inspire, coach and lead; set framework for performance and growth
- Leadership: share vision, gain alignment and foster team spirit
- People Strategy: People judgment, organizational feedback, structural capability building efforts
- Selection and performance management of Brand talents
- Creates the New: Drives organizational momentum for change; change management.
- Ambassadorial skills to manage the external environment and enhance the company’s reputation
- Executional excellence and driving for business results
- Deep functional knowledge across the various disciplines with a strong experience and/or understanding of engineering and technical processes along the complete value chain.
- Culture: sports culture, trends, innovation culture
- Broad knowledge of brand and marketing and business
- Understanding of corporate and social responsibility
- Understanding of basic employee relations matters
- Extensive knowledge of Intellectual property related matters
- Strategic thinking paired with strong executional abilities
- Excellent communication skills – verbally, for all levels of organization
- Strong presentation skills
- Effective Budget planning and management
- Excellent English knowledge and familiarity of additional languages a bonus
- Relevant Technical and Office software tools
- University degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 15 years minimum experience in the sporting goods innovation, managing people and projects.
- Proven track record of success – commercial success, awards, critical success
- Demonstrated ability in effectively evaluating talent, recruiting talent and developing talent, employee engagement.