Seeking a Senior Design Manager who has the ability to manage a the surface design category and team members. Responsibilities include managing footwear materials and colors through the design and product creation process, providing direction, mentoring and feedback. Also responsible for designing materials and applying colors and color strategies that works within the overall seasonal design themes. Must be able to interact with a multidisciplined product creation team and have a good track record of partnering with Product Marketing and Development to deliver innovative materials and color solutions that meet category needs. Must have an understanding of lifestyle/sport footwear needs, costing and factory sourcing issues. Must also demonstrate strength in an ability to create both image materials that lead the category line as well as challenge and create volume materials that are price sensitive. We seek a person with creativity, a professional attitude, a strong sense of collaboration, strong technical capabilities with an understanding of materials and footwear manufacturing and a desire to challenge the conventions. Must show a leaning towards aesthetic excellence and is someone willing to take on the role of leader and mentor to their design team.
Reports to (title):
Vice President of Innovation and Design, Performance Business Unit
Supervises: 3-5 Designers (from Sr. Designer to Apprentices)
Primarily Interacts with Internally/Externally: Delta Footwear Design, Creative direction, Footwear Innovation Team, Product Marketing, Development, T1 and T2 suppliers, MDI
- Seasonal material toolbox creation and new material design
- Seasonal color application and color footwear application strategy
- Support Color team in creation of New Seasonal pallete
- Create + Manage color plots following the color paletteProvide designs for Footwear projects
- Strong participation within the creative group with ideas, concepts, technologies and new initiatives and stories.
- Mentor the Senior Designers, Designers, Associate Designers, and Apprentices so that their projects fall within the established timelines to meet the product creation calendar.
- Develop the skills of the Surface Design Team so that he can take on more technically challenging projects.
- Assist the Design VP and Design Directors with leading the group and maintaining goals.
- Manage the Surface Design Team and assist the Design VP as needed
- Present team’s ideas and designs to Senior Management and other key partners in the Product Creation Process.
- Supervise the design work of the Senior Designers, Designers and Associate Designers on the team in accordance with the specific brief
- Supervise the design work of the Senior Designers, Designers and Associate Designers in accordance with the Reebok Creation calendar so that work is completed in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Product Marketing to ensure that each new material is relevant for the distribution level.
- Understand the needs of the category globally by working closely our international employees and through consumer research.
- Understand Reebok’s best practices for materials and color so that these are adhered to or challenge them and improve upon them.
- Understand Reebok’s competitor’s products at all price points.
- Pursue new concepts that would be considered breakthrough technologies or innovative products for Reebok.
- Understand how colors, graphics, materials and treatments can impact each product in the category and develop creative ways to apply these to Reebok’s footwear in an innovative manner.
- Work closely with Development to ensure that new ideas and designs are manufacturable and can achieve margin targets.
- Travel with the team (delvelopment, product marketing) whenever possible to gather information about the consumers or to work on products at the development centers, footwear factories or component/material suppliers.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to manage a creative team of people.
- Ability to technically address materials and material creation at an advanced level.
- Ability to take design from 2D drawing to 3D model to finished product at an advanced level.
- Well established knowledge of materials and footwear manufacturing process.
- Ability to design to performance and aesthetic needs for the category. .
- Ability to effectively understand and interact with Marketing, Engineering, and Production functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and knowledge to other Design employees.
- Ability to travel with the team to manufacturing facilities around the world when requireD
- 8+ years of Footwear Design Experience
- Experience managing designers in a supervisory role
The Reebok brand has moved their HQ to a 220,000 square-foot section of the Innovation and Design Building in Boston’s Seaport District. This move has brought community fitness to a next generation design and innovation space; the all new workplace fosters a vibrant collaborative culture and allows the brand to be closely connected to the community in Boston. Alongside state-of-the-art office spaces, the headquarters is equipped with an employee fitness center and a retail store.