This position’s key purpose is to oversee the development of all custom colors for the Reebok brand and ensure color executions meet the adidas Group’s high quality standards. This global role sits with the Color & Concept team and is essential to bringing all Reebok colors to life, from concept to product. This individual will work closely with Creative Direction, Design, and Product Development teams to create brand defining and consumer relevant colors.
- Ensure color matching across apparel/footwear substrates and minimize achievability issues.
- Manage custom color creation and development of color standards.
- Communicate color achievability limitations and provide guidance to maintain high quality color executions.
- Oversee lab-dip, bulk, and strike-off color approvals.
- Direct early color development and color testing for high risk and long lead time materials.
- Create digital color palettes, communicate palettes to design teams, and oversee color calibration for screens and in-house printing.
- Research and communicate innovations in the color and textile industries regarding color development, dyeing techniques, and sustainability.
- Research development improvements, cost- and time-saving strategies in concert with Materials team.
- Travel internationally to meet with LO colorists, suppliers, factories, dye labs, and quality-assurance counterparts.
- Manage color development processes and timelines.
- Ensure on-time delivery of color tools to Design Teams and external suppliers.
- Maintain library and database of all Reebok colors and fill requests for color standards.
- Oversee library of external color standards (Pantone, CSI, Coloro, etc.)
- Manage relationship with dye lab and color standard suppliers.
- Utilize and maintain spectrophotometer and light box.
- Communicate important color info (color tool ordering, achievability lists, etc.) to counterparts.
- Streamline Design Pack, PDM and PLM color entries. Communicate color listing standards to Design and Development.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication, organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to work proactively, both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Ability to respond quickly to multiple projects with strong time-management skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of color theory.
- Knowledge of fabrics, materials, dyeing and various printing processes.
- Knowledge of color trends and how they evolve.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work efficiently in Microsoft Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Familiar with FlexPLM or similar product development software.
- Familiar with color management software.
- Curious and eager to engage in research to find answers and approaches to new projects and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in textile, apparel or product design, textile/materials science or engineering, or similar field directly related to color.
- 7+ years experience as a colorist or in a closely related field.
- Superior passing score on Munsell color test.