Manage in a secure & confidential manner the development and commercialization process of assigned innovation projects and products in collaboration with Tier 1 (T1) factory development, commercialization and technical teams; Tier 2 (T2) & Tier 3 (T3) vendors and, research partners. Research, source and manage the testing and implementation of innovative materials, manufacturing processes and techniques in support of ait product concepts, technologies, constructions, components and finished goods.
- Develop product innovations in accordance with the design, technical and confidentiality requirements while maintaining an emphasis on performance, quality, integrity, as well as being on the forefront of technology and the market.
- Ensure dev/comm and evaluation processes cover areas of performance, fit, grading while working collaboratively with suppliers to help identify potential production obstacles and provide solutions in early development stages to optimize value/cost viability ratios through efficient manufacturing techniques to ensure the best innovative products possible within given targets.
- Engineer products with a focus on creating innovative technical, performance & aesthetic opportunities with optimized quality, reliability, productivity, manufacturing efficiency and cost performance.
- Ensure T1, T2 & T3 vendors fully explore new concepts, processes and materials, as well as upgrades of existing ones, as requested by the HQ-ait groups.
- Understand and implement all transfer policies and guidelines ensuring an effective transition of pre-developed and tested prototypes and/or technologies to Inline teams, while remaining engaged in supporting the Inline dev/comm process to ensure accordance with the confirmed development and design specifications and product performance integrity until the final stage of the production trial including the first production shipment.
- Frequently visit the production line and Inline development centers with focus on product quality, technology integrity, process improvement and collective learning.
- Deliver pre-development and testing samples on time while ensuring that RFT tracking reports, cost studies and other key reports are updated and utilized as a project management tools.
- Work with manufacturers, suppliers and research partners in continuous upgrades of technical applications and processes including the development, commercialization and implementation of new technologies.
- Takes an active role in the costing process by working in collaboration with T1, LO and HQ/CC costing on evaluation several applicable cost scenarios towards reaching technology cost targets and target margins/FOBs on all products.
- Continuously build up category specific competence within the team while continuously pushing innovation boundaries and; support and guide them to further their technical skills and process understanding.
- Support technical training in area of expertise when needed. (e.g. on boarding, visitors technical skills training)
- Assist Team Leader in overseeing the direct development process, including building T1 capabilities when needed.
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationship with HQ / CC / ait and other key parties as listed below,
- Assist Head of ait Sourcing and Team Leader on the escalation management process.
- Take on additional tasks and responsibilities as agreed upon with the Head of ait Sourcing and Team Leader.
- Use good judgment in all situations in determining when to be principle centered vs. policy driven following the spirit of the Adi Dassler Standards.
- T1, T2 and T3 supply partners and vendors
- HQ adidas Innovations Teams
- Brand Operations – Project Management
- Costing Team / Materials Team / PCT
- Quality Assurance
- Marketing & Design
Knowledge skills and abilities:
- Strong understanding of footwear manufacturing including pattern engineering, CAD, mould making, grading, materials processing, testing, manufacturing, etc.
- Ability to interpret 2D drawings and manipulate 3D models
- Good understanding of costing and design for manufacturing and profitability principles
- Ability to create, plan and deliver presentations and interpret testing data
- MS office skills, basic understanding of CAD/CAM processes
- Fluent English, written and verbal, BULATS level 3 or equivalent
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- 4-year college or university degree, preferably shoemaking and/or engineering discipline
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in the athletic footwear industry in technical capacity and/or product creation functions.
- Proven record of accomplishment in the footwear industry.
- Strong degree of numeracy. Driven by attention to detail and order.