To produce quality stitched shoe uppers that are used to help develop, confirm and commercialize new product in the most cost efficient manner possible. Provide suggestion for alternative construction methods to improve costing and assembly of prototypes. Create quality uppers the most effective way possible, to be utilized in the manufacturing process in order to streamline or reduce the length of the development process.
- Work closely with the pattern maker, material cutter, and shoemakers to determine best process and sequence of assembly for each shoe upper design.
- Pre-fit cut upper parts by marking, skiving, splitting, perforating, etc. so as to produce cut upper parts that are ready to be assembled into a finished stitched upper ready for lasting.
- Assemble individual pre-fit cut parts in the proper sequence and following the provided specifications for the stitching details to produce a quality finished upper.
- Through the above process, produce quality pairs of matched upper ready for lasting and remaining shoe making steps.
- Operate all necessary machinery required to pre-fit and produce uppers: i.e., splitter, skiver, and various stitching machines.
- Provide a technical review of each project with the designer or developer with suggestions on how to improve it, if possible.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to operate all machinery required for pre-fitting and stitching shoes.
- Ability to operate the auto cutting machinery.
- A strong understanding of materials used in prototyping.
- Be capable of thinking through sequence of operations on uppers and make improvement suggestion to pattern engineers to improve the prototypes.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Complete all projects within the established timelines.
- Ability to cross train on other positions in the sample department and to provide backup on these positions as needed.
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications
- At least 3 years of progressive work experience with footwear stitching
- College or university degree with a focus on fashion, textiles or apparel development, preferred