Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organisation:
We believe that through Sport, we have the power to change lives. To change lives, we have to create direct relationships with consumers and the best way to accelerate building direct relationships is through Digital. Therefore, the primary purpose of our engineering teams is to engage with our customers in order to deliver the highest possible value for them. This customer serving view is a vital activity for all product teams within Digital IT. Each product team wants to enlighten our customers with the best possible consumer journey as well as by providing innovative ways of engaging with them. The teams implement and deliver world class solutions and tackle the toughest engineering challenges while focusing on the customer, quality and time to market.
Because of its customer centric and quality focused view, Software Engineering team members require excellent development skills, commitment and a real passion to provide the best possible customer experience. People who understand software engineering from the ground and who are driven to apply best practices in order to have outstanding results.
Advice, Guidance & Technical planning
- Takes responsibility for understanding client requirements, collecting data, delivering analysis and problem resolution.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends options, implementing if required.
- Collaborates with, and facilitates stakeholder groups, as part of formal or informal consultancy agreements.
- Seeks to fully address client needs, enhancing the capabilities and effectiveness of client personnel, by ensuring that proposed solutions are properly understood and appropriately exploited.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of specific specialisms, and provides expert advice regarding their application. Can supervise specialist consultancy. The specialism can be any aspect of information or communication technology, technique, method, product or application area.
Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Monitors the market to gain knowledge and understanding of currently emerging technologies.
- Identifies new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products based on own area of expertise, assesses their relevance and potential value to the organization, contributes to briefings of staff and management.
Business change implementation
Requirements Definition and Management
- Facilitates scoping and business priority setting for large or complex changes, engaging senior stakeholders as required.
- Selects the most appropriate means of representing business requirements in the context of a specific change initiative.
- Drives the requirements elicitation process where necessary, identifying what stakeholder input is required.
- Obtains formal agreement from a large and diverse range of potentially senior stakeholders and recipients to the scope and requirements, plus the establishment of a base-line on which delivery of a solution can commence.
- Takes responsibility for the investigation and application of changes to program scope. Identifies the impact on business requirements of external impacts affecting a program or project.
Systems Development & Integration
Systems Development Management
- Defines solution development projects which support the organization’s objectives and plans.
- Ensures that senior management is both aware of and able to provide the required resources.
- Contributes effectively to improving solution development processes within the organization justified by measurable business benefits.
- Facilitates availability and optimum utilization of resources, especially in Agile projects.
- Monitors and reports on the progress of development projects, ensuring that projects are carried out in accordance with agreed standards, methods and procedures (including secure software development).
- Applies secure development improvement practices.
- Specifies and designs large or complex systems.
- Selects appropriate design standards, methods and tools, consistent with agreed enterprise and solution architectures and ensures they are applied effectively.
- Reviews others' systems designs to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- Contributes to policy for selection of architecture components.
- Evaluates and undertakes impact analysis on major design options and assesses and manages associated risks.
- Ensures that the system design balances functional, service quality, security and systems management requirements.
- Maintains and applies up to date, specialist knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles, and a detailed knowledge of the full range of database architectures, software and facilities available.
- Analyses data requirements, to establish, modify or maintain a data model.
- Takes account of specialist requirements (e.g. geocoding, for geographic information systems).
- Interprets the model into an appropriate database schema within set policies.
- Demonstrates, installs and commissions selected products.
Programming / Software Engineering
- Sets local or team-based standards for programming tools and techniques, integrating security guidelines, and the selection of appropriate development methods.
- Advises on application of standards and methods and ensures compliance.
- Takes technical responsibility for all stages and/or iterations in a software development project, providing method specific technical advice and guidance to project stakeholders.
- Assigns work packages, monitors performance and manages change control dynamically, to optimize productivity.
- Provides advice, guidance and assistance to less experienced colleagues as required.
- Coordinates and manages planning of the system and/or acceptance tests, including software security testing, within a development or integration project or programme.
- Takes responsibility for integrity of testing and acceptance activities and coordinates the execution of these activities.
- Provides authoritative advice and guidance on any aspect of test planning and execution.
- Manages all test processes, including test plans, resources, costs, timescales, test deliverables and traceability.
- Identifies process improvements and contributes to corporate testing standards and definition of best practice.
Service Design, Transition & Operations
- Provides advice, assistance and leadership associated with the planning, design and improvement of service and component availability, including the investigation of all breaches of availability targets and service non-availability, with the instigation of remedial activities.
- Plans arrangements for disaster recovery together with supporting processes and manages the testing of such plans.
Release and Deployment
- Leads the assessment, analysis, planning and design of release packages, including assessment of risk.
- Liaises with business and IT partners on release scheduling and communication of progress.
- Conducts post release reviews.
- Ensures release processes and procedures are applied.
- Drafts and maintains procedures and documentation for applications support.
- Manages application enhancements to improve business performance.
- Advises on application security, licensing, upgrades, backups, and disaster recovery needs.
- Ensures that all requests for support are dealt with according to set standards and procedures.
Stakeholder & People Management
- Identifies the communications needs of each stakeholder group in conjunction with business owners and subject matter experts.
- Translates communications / stakeholder engagement strategies into specific tasks.
- Facilitates open communication and discussion between stakeholders, acting as a single point of contact by developing, maintaining and working to stakeholder engagement strategies and plans.
- Negotiates with stakeholders at senior levels, ensuring that organisational policy and strategies are adhered to.
- Provides informed feedback to assess and promote understanding.
- Build the appropriate structure to be able to manage the respective organization effectively, identify and develop the future talents and create realistic succession scenarios for key positions
- Ensure appropriate leadership skills are present at every level by creating a motivational and supportive work environment in which employees are coached, trained and provided with career opportunities through development
- Allocate the different projects/programs and work streams to the respective teams and employees considering experience, project complexity, workload and organizational efficiency
- Continuously monitor and evaluate team workload and organizational efficiency with the support of IT systems, data and analysis and team feedback and make appropriate changes in order to meet business needs.
- Provide team members/direct reports with clear direction and targets that are aligned with business needs and GIT objectives
Agile way of working
- Become part of empowered and autonomous teams which are highly customer centric
- Work with agile methodologies like Scrum/Kanban
- Feel ownership for the products you are working on
- Be highly collaborative
- Work closely with the customer
- Deploy early and regularly to incorporate feedback and to constantly improve the products
- Global IT, DBC
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven skill in understanding market and technology trends, and customer needs and developing product strategy and aligning product plans built directly from customer input
- Technically strong with significant experience in software engineering and architecture, cloud-based infrastructure, infrastructure automation and continuous delivery platforms
- Experience in technical operations of high volume distributed applications
- English language (fluent)
- Acquiring understanding of the underlying issues in complex problems or situations by correctly relating these to simpler or better understood concepts, models or previous experiences.
- Making decisions at the appropriate time, taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities, constraints and the availability of necessary information.
- Understanding the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
- Working co-operatively (rather than competitively) with others to achieve a common goal.
- English (fluent).
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- 4-year college or university degree with focus on Information Technology or related area. Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years’ experience in Software Engineering
- 5+ years’ experience in Technical / Software Architecture
- 5+ years of experience managing a team