Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organization
Lead and manage the golf apparel design team. Work with individual designers to consistently improve design skills and push creativity. Mentor the design team and help guide them to grow in their career. Work closely with the Creative Director to create and set the category direction that not only meets the different global market and consumers needs but will challenge and shape the industry. Take ownership of the process from the beginning to the end and work with Marketing and Development to create a range that will support the brand direction, market, and consumer needs, growing the business to meet the company’s business targets. This position will be the Global Design lead and voice for the apparel category.
- Steer and coach the apparel design team and their creative processes, driving development of direct reports and inspiring and motivating the team to pursue cutting edge ideas that are innovative and original in the golf market.
- Create Design Direction for Men’s and Women’s performance, adicross, and adipure apparel categories, which includes fabric, color and inspirational imagery and overall look and feel that meets the requirements of the global product brief and is inline with the design strategy
- Study and interpret market conditions and trends from a design perspective as related to golf and share with design team, marketing team and development team in a dynamic way
- Point person for apparel category, able to make decisions for the category based on the global design strategy, business needs and overall brand
- Work closely with Creative Director and Brand Marketing to help shape the category look and feel.
- Maintain close relationships with cross-functional teams and departments to create a streamline process
- Collect relevant trend reports, style analysis and innovative design concepts that will inspire the direction of the golf apparel range in a new way
- Work with outside vendors, material suppliers, color services and alternative tools to successfully gather what is needed to bring products to life
- Initiate store checks, market visits and competitor analysis that are relevant to the category
- Present category direction to Design team and external teams in a confident energetic way that displays the design language, color, material, graphics and style
- Hand off designs to development. Must submit all relevant information in design package for the development process
- Work closely with PGA /LPGA athletes to gain product insights and help make sure our products perform at the necessary level for our athletes.
- Clear understanding of the different regional golf apparel needs.
- Be the leader of the category, not only for design, but for marketing and development.
- Communicate with clarity and knowledge to all necessary teams within a strict timeframe.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Apparel & Footwear Design teams, Apparel Development, Apparel Product Marketing, Brand Marketing, C2C
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Profound knowledge of fashion product and fashion design/industrial product or industrial design
- Innovative and collaborative leader and coach.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- An understanding of the golf industry and/or an interest in the sport of golf.
- Must be fully proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Graphic design, textile print and 3D design experience is a plus
- Strong understanding of technology, innovation and performance function
- Textile print/ graphic experience a plus
- Fluent in English (spoken and written)
Requisite Education and Experience
- Fashion Design and/or Industrial Design degree and relevant work experience in the branded performance industry.
- An in-depth knowledge of apparel with a strong understanding of color theory, materials and construction with 10-15 years of direct related experience.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience managing and leading a team of designers.
- At least 7 years of working directly with Global markets.
- Some experience in managing marketing teams is a plus.