Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organization:
- The position is responsible for researching trends. Ideation of new concepts and creating compelling footwear to meet the brand aesthetic. The Designer I works with the Design Manager to ensure that each product meets the categories product brief and the seasonal design directions set by the Creative Director and Senior management team.
- Understand the needs of the global footwear and sportswear business and have the ability to communicate these needs through creative and commercial design.
- Understand Reebok’s technologies and incorporate these into products where applicable.
- Understand and be able to design and spec materials/treatments/components that enhance the performance of the product for the consumer at all levels.
- Understand Reebok’s best practices for footwear so that these are adhered to or challenge them and improve upon them.
- Understand Reebok’s competitor’s products at all price points.
- Attend material trade shows to understand what new materials, components and treatments are available for footwear.
- Design products in accordance to the specific product brief.
- Design products in accordance with the Reebok Product Creation calendar so that work is completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that each product from entry level to high end has meaningful features and benefits that allow the consumer to reach their full athletic potential.
- Work closely with Product Development to ensure that new ideas and designs are manufacturable.
- Work closely with Product Marketing to ensure that each new product meets the needs of the product brief.
- Travel with the team whenever possible to gather information about the consumers or to work on products at the development centers, factories or component/material suppliers.
- Whenever time allows pursue new concepts that would be considered breakthrough technologies for Reebok.
- Understand the appropriate last aesthetics that Reebok has and if necessary challenge these standards and improve upon them.
- Understand how colors, graphics, materials and treatments can impact each product in the category and develop creative ways to apply these to Reebok’s footwear in an innovative manner.
- Work closely with product marketing so that a good understanding of Reebok costing is achieved. All products have to be profitably designed.
- Prepare documents and other visual aids for Presentation purposes at key events in the Product Creation Calendar. Events include Prototype reviews, confirmation meetings, sales meetings and account presentations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and knowledge to other Design employees, with 2D supports and physical materials.
- Ability to receive design critique.
- Strong organizational and presentation skills, digitally and physically.
- General understanding of materials related to footwear design.
- Ability to technically address patterns and molds at a general level.
- Ability to take design from 2D drawing to 3D finished product for a specific athletic or casual categories.
- Well established knowledge of footwear manufacturing process. Ability to design to performance needs for the category.
- Ability to effectively understand and interact with marketing and production functions.
- Ability to travel with the team to manufacturing facilities around the world when required.
- Ability to Photograph products and scenarios.
Required Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- 1+ years of experience with footwear design.
- Advanced level in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Strong Presentations and Storytelling skills.
- Prototyping and pattern making is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in product/accessories/footwear design.
adidas celebrates diversity, supports inclusiveness and encourages individual expression in our workplace. We do not tolerate the harassment or discrimination toward any of our applicants or employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.