- To direct others in designing industry leading executions of Footwear and/or Apparel through material, & graphic construction.
- Lead, ideate, & influence in helping contribute toward building the horizontal promoted brand color, material, & graphic direction in collaboration with Creative Direction Function.
- Directly implement & apply for BU specific seasonal execution.
- Partner with Graphic Director of respective BU.
- Direct brand creative direction’s seasonal narratives, quarterly themes, and monthly stories for the BU specific needs & BU specific category execution horizontally across color, materials, & graphics.
- Guide, steer, and shepherd this vision across the BU category.
- Help lead and set long term & seasonal trends & insights among the industry, win the creator, and ultimately help contribute to innovating at retail.
Continuously aware and directs a team(s) on information needed to design a consumer and brand relevant BU collection. Should include all possible sources to gain this information:
- Trade fairs, cultural events, and sporting events, athlete insights
- Trade publications, general interest press, trend services, fashion and sportswear magazines and websites
- Store checks, market visits, and team travel as provided
- Relevant forecast and sell-through numbers from our Marketing counterparts
Is a stakeholder in directing, creating, and leading seasonal and long-term design direction and strategy for the brand horizontally. This also includes respective category allocation within the following topics:
- Footwear and Apparel Color
- Footwear Materials
- Incorporating Graphics/Print Direction
- Footwear and Apparel Silhouettes (Accessories if relevant per BU).
Is a stakeholder in defining, directing, & curating aforementioned design direction by, but not limited to:
- Providing trend forecasting content relevant to our consumer and brand
- Providing advanced conceptual direction and allocation in developing materials with the Creative Direction Color, Material, & Graphic Teams, Product Design, & Development.
- Working with Local and Global counterparts to provide category relative Color, Material, Graphic direction when required cross-location or cross-category alignment is concerned.
- Directs as a Color, Material, & Graphic conduit to Marketing, Product Managers, Designers and in between Key Account and Inline
- Acts as a brand ambassador between all categories looking for opportunities to connect direction, product, and people
- Directs, creates, presents, and applies Creative Direction/BU specific presentations
- Drives content to Concept To Consumer Team to enhance Creative Direction/BU strategy and storytelling
- Provides a curated context, to enable success among the business
Leads top-line range strategy in their categories. This includes but is not limited to:
- Directly shepherd and leads their team in creating holistic category overviews, rollouts, and merchandising strategy for the category
- Communicate content to Footwear, Apparel, and Graphics Teams to align strategy
- Lead and inform horizontal brand moments and category moments by leading products, Color, Material narratives/executions, and tiered rollout plans in partnership with Design, Marketing, and Concept To Consumer
- Eagerly seeks proactive opportunities to amplify emerging trends, lead concepts, and strategic hierarchy to product & business
- Set a cadence across brand and category moments for statement, hype, inline, and commercialized seasonal ranges respectively
- Has transparent knowledge across critical brand and category direction
- Constant incentivizing and advancement of Creative Direction & BU purpose and vision constantly.
Works closely with members of the category’s design team. This includes but is not limited to:
- Providing Color & Material content and direction
- Collaboration and critiquing
- Sets a leading example and vision within the team and mentors
- Transfers prior experiences and knowledge to those around them
- Viewed within the team as a Color & Material expert and director
Directs Footwear/Apparel Color & Material executions for Inline and Key Account ranges with input from Design, Marketing, and Development. This includes but is not limited to:
- Vision and expectations for seasonal prep and research stated above
- Creates product design presentations; both physical and digital
- Directs and leads their team in creating a quality and merchandisable range by having a detail to top-line view of all products
- Assures Senior Leads are enabled to work closely with Development to assist in development process & costing
- Travel to Asia for development trips (not always required)
- Directly leads, shapes, and informs communicating inspiration and storytelling tools to Marketing and Concept To Consumer
Has experienced knowledge and a higher understanding of product. From color, material construction, to production.
Knowledge, Capabilities and Experience
- Ability and desire to direct and lead in managing others, which includes but is not limited to:
- Influencing and leading a team
- Productive critiquing and mentoring
- Creating more efficient, creative, and positive working environment
- Directs and creates high standard of consistent work ethic and optimal creative community environment, while still tailoring leadership and creativity to each individual employee
- A strong working knowledge of footwear/apparel (accessories where relevant) construction and production
- A detailed understanding of the creation process
- A strong knowledge of material suppliers, material production, and technical material feasibilities
- Creates and enforces Color & Material consolidation/alignment for product excellence goals
- Approves all off palette Color needs case by case
- Computer Skills
- Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
- Power Point/Key Note
- Apple Mac Operating system
- Understanding of brand history and current positioning
- Understanding of marketplace (Footwear/streetwear/urban) history, consumer, and current positioning
- Has a strong understanding and extraordinary sense of Color, Material trends, application, and cycles
- Ability to understand design concepts and think conceptually
- Ability to create designs that meet category needs and commercial opportunities
- Ability to design for new initiatives and products with a fresh, innovative perspective
- Ability to operate in a fast pace, ever changing work environment
- Works well in a team environment. This position requires employee to engage/lead/collaborate with many stakeholders, as well as manage various information and relationships
- Ability and desire to push themselves, others, and the brand forward
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and collaborate with key business partners
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong conflict/resolution skills
- Leads with innovative strategies
- Applies industry changing processes
- Sets leading trends that timely with culture and our creators/consumers
- Identify successors to help build and cultivate the Creative Direction/BU category vision
- Four year college or university degree in industrial, graphics, apparel or footwear design
- Direct experience in footwear/apparel/graphic design, fashion design or any design relevant environment
- Thorough knowledge of art and design with clear understanding of visual design or any design related environment
- Six years relevant work experience
- 5-8 years leadership experience
- Equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted for degree