At adidas, every day is a chance to flip the script. An invitation to take everything we know and re-invent it. Do it better. Never settling for good enough. Every day we get up, invent, adapt, improvise, find new ways to collaborate, and do the unexpected. We’re creators, makers and doers. Helping athletes make a difference, not just in their games, but in their lives and in their world. It’s an obsession.
We’ve been doing this for more than 65 years. With an unmatched history and tradition of creating iconic products, consumer connections and experiences, we’ve been defining sport culture since the beginning. And we’re never done. Come be a part of shaping the future together with us.
Create physical prototypes and technical components from 2D/3D files and techpacks according to exact design specifications as dictated by the development team.
Leverage a variety of digital and analogue techniques, tools, materials and processes to create physical models.
- Collaborate with the 3D technical manager to transform digital files into physical prototypes and components.
- Coordinate workflow to align with sample room output schedule.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- 3D file management and 3D printer operation/maintenance.
- Post processing of 3D prints: i.e., cleaning, sanding, curing, painting, etc.
- Creation of physical prototypes through urethane casting, laser cutting, vacuum forming, hand carving, etc.
- Support the conversion of design information into a confirmed set of technical data required for the rapid prototyping of technical components.
- Provide technical information in collaboration with design, development, and factory partners
- Work closely with the 3D technical manager to analyze designs for manufacturability, production efficiencies, potential functional or quality issues and costing issues and offer alternative, economic and efficient solutions.
- Maintain and operate all related tools, equipment, and supplies: i.e., 3D software, 3D printer, casting equipment, modeling tools.
- Offer technical solutions to the product team taking into consideration functional requirements of products, adidas quality standards, target costs and manufacturing constraints.
- Increase the speed and efficiency of processes by eliminating non value adding steps and try to execute “Right the First Time”.
- Continuously increase knowledge of latest technological trends in rapid prototyping and post-processing of parts.
- Support and consult on advanced concepts in modeling, research, and execution as pertains to rapid prototyping.
- Continuously increase your knowledge regarding latest technological trends in CAD systems and processes and Footwear manufacturing.
- Collaborate with other adidas creation centers and outside resources as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Proficient knowledge of all computer software required to run prototype machinery and equipment; such as rapid prototyping (Objet) 3D file creation and modification (Rhino, Magics), graphic software, database for administration, etc.
- Experience creating 3D CAD models; ability to prepare 3D CAD surface and STL data for use in rapid prototyping.
- Ability to work with Solvents, Chemicals, Polyurethane, Epoxy, and Silicones.
- Ability to identify design issues and offer solutions to improve functionality and manufacturability of product.
- Ability to work independently under a deadline on several projects simultaneously with minimal input.
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot errors with mechanical equipment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in a shop environment and be comfortable working with industrial machinery
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively and make presentations before small groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Knowledge about shoe making process preferred
- MS Office and Adobe program skills
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications
- At least 3 years of CAD Experience, Rhino and Magics preferred
- College degree or vocational study completion with a focus on rapid prototyping and model making preferred
- 0 – 2 years of experience within the footwear industry preferred
adidas celebrates diversity, supports inclusiveness and encourages individual expression in our workplace. We do not tolerate the harassment or discrimination toward any of our applicants or employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.