Create physical prototypes and technical components from 2D/3D files and techpacks according to exact design specifications as dictated by the development team.
Leverage a variety of digital and analogue techniques, tools, materials and processes to create physical models.
- Collaborate with the 3D technical manager to transform digital files into physical prototypes and components.
- Coordinate workflow to align with sample room output schedule.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- 3D file management and 3D printer operation/maintenance.
- Post processing of 3D prints: i.e., cleaning, sanding, curing, painting, etc.
- Creation of physical prototypes through urethane casting, laser cutting, vacuum forming, hand carving, etc.
- Support the conversion of design information into a confirmed set of technical data required for the rapid prototyping of technical components.
- Provide technical information in collaboration with design, development, and factory partners
- Work closely with the 3D technical manager to analyze designs for manufacturability, production efficiencies, potential functional or quality issues and costing issues and offer alternative, economic and efficient solutions.
- Maintain and operate all related tools, equipment, and supplies: i.e., 3D software, 3D printer, casting equipment, modeling tools.
- Offer technical solutions to the product team taking into consideration functional requirements of products, adidas quality standards, target costs and manufacturing constraints.
- Increase the speed and efficiency of processes by eliminating non value adding steps and try to execute “Right the First Time”.
- Continuously increase knowledge of latest technological trends in rapid prototyping and post-processing of parts.
- Support and consult on advanced concepts in modeling, research, and execution as pertains to rapid prototyping.
- Continuously increase your knowledge regarding latest technological trends in CAD systems and processes and Footwear manufacturing.
- Collaborate with other adidas creation centers and outside resources as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Proficient knowledge of all computer software required to run prototype machinery and equipment; such as rapid prototyping (Objet) 3D file creation and modification (Rhino, Magics), graphic software, database for administration, etc.
- Experience creating 3D CAD models; ability to prepare 3D CAD surface and STL data for use in rapid prototyping.
- Ability to work with Solvents, Chemicals, Polyurethane, Epoxy, and Silicones.
- Ability to identify design issues and offer solutions to improve functionality and manufacturability of product.
- Ability to work independently under a deadline on several projects simultaneously with minimal input.
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot errors with mechanical equipment
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in a shop environment and be comfortable working with industrial machinery
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively and make presentations before small groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Knowledge about shoe making process preferred
- MS Office and Adobe program skills
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications
- At least 3 years of CAD Experience, Rhino and Magics preferred
- College degree or vocational study completion with a focus on rapid prototyping and model making preferred
- 0 – 2 years of experience within the footwear industry preferred