At adidas, every day is a chance to flip the script. An invitation to take everything we know and re-invent it. Do it better. Never settling for good enough. Every day we get up, invent, adapt, improvise, find new ways to collaborate, and do the unexpected. We’re creators, makers and doers. Helping athletes make a difference, not just in their games, but in their lives and in their world. It’s an obsession.
We’ve been doing this for more than 65 years. With an unmatched history and tradition of creating iconic products, consumer connections and experiences, we’ve been defining sport culture since the beginning. And we’re never done. Come be a part of shaping the future together with us.
Area: Emerging Markets
Direct Reporting Line: Director Internal Control & Profit Protection, EM
Indirect/Second Reporting Line: Director Finance EM South
Subsidiary/Country: South Africa
Location: Cape Town
GSMS Grade: M3
Number of Personnel Managed: None
Purpose & Overall Relevance for the Organisation
This position is responsible for risk management and internal control in South Africa. This includes assurance and compliance audits of all back-office functions; maintain area risk register and compliance check list, fraud prevention and good corporate governance.
In this role, the primary objectives are the protection of company assets; ensure effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Risk management and compliance are the other 2 pillars of this position that aim at supporting the achievement of qualitative and sustainable growth through good corporate governance practices, the avoidance of financial losses or damages caused by non-compliant behaviour, the management of all types of risk to levels that are in line with Group risk appetite.
- Prepare the annual Risk & Internal Control Plan (RICP) in line with the IC Framework for Emerging Markets for review and approval by the Director Internal Control & Profit Protection and communicate its execution timetable
- Design, test, amend and review new/existing RIC testing procedures
- Coordinate the execution of the RICP as planned and maintain effective communication with the Director IC&PP on RIC issues and progress of field work
- Agree action plan, deadlines and responsibilities with department Heads & ensure timely implementation of RIC recommendations
- Prepare and issue RIC reports & presentation materials for Senior Management
- Create, review and update policies and controls
- Coordinate the execution of both Emerging Markets and GP&IC initiatives (e.g. ICS testing, EM IC/PP Playbook)
- Drive Emerging Market cross-countries initiatives, in line with the Market priorities
- Responsibility for the timely resolution of all audit/Internal Control findings as identified by Corporate Internal Audit and Group Internal Control
- Work in close relation with market and local management team to review, improve, document and harmonize processes
- As the Risk Coordinator, maintain the country’s risk register in line with Group Risk Management guidelines & requirements
- Timely submission of the Risk & Opportunity Assessment to the EM Risk Management coordinator on a biannual basis
- Ultimately responsible for developing and implementing risk mitigating actions within area by thoroughly understanding the cause and effect of each risk.
- Identify and evaluate current controls and other already implemented mitigating measures.
- Consider and evaluate the implementation of additional risk mitigating measures (planned mitigating actions) taking into account the cost/benefit relation.
- Continuously monitor existing and potential risk areas and verifying the adequacy and effectiveness of the handling strategy and/or implemented mitigating actions.
- At area level, serve as independent contacts for any employee wishing to report a suspected or detected compliance violation
- Support the Risk Owners in identifying, analysing, evaluating and managing compliance risks as well as the biannual risk reporting
- Support investigations of compliance incidents
- Share Group/Area best practices to ensure high compliance levels
- Market: GMs/Directors, Functions Directors (Finance, Operations, Marketing etc.)
- All Market Directors (i.e. Operations Director EM, Marketing Director EM, Retail Director)
- Group: Finance, Corporate Internal Audit, Group Internal Control, Risk Management, Compliance, Sales (both Retail and Wholesale)
- External auditors
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior executives, stakeholders and cross functional business leaders
- Strong analytical and numerical skills (with a proven business acumen)
- Ability to work to strict deadlines to achieve audit program targets
- Strong auditing/internal control skills
- Fraud investigation, resolution and reporting skills
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing tasks
Requisite Education and Experience / Minimum Qualifications:
- University degree in finance and accounting/auditing qualification (CA, CIA, CIMA)
- Minimum of 3-5 years in similar function/position
- Fluency in English
adidas celebrates diversity, supports inclusiveness and encourages individual expression in our workplace. We do not tolerate the harassment or discrimination toward any of our applicants or employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.